Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year, Average Old One

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone out there! I hope that your celebrations were fun and that everyone got home safe and without incurring a DUI. (You people know who you are.)

I hadn't been prepared to be blatantly reminded of how single I currently am until at least February. Or at least for a few weeks, when the jewelry, flower and card companies start their push for Valentine's Day revenue.

Then I went to a New Year's party last night.

It started out okay. A group of my friends and I met at a pub to see a sort of Irish band that I liked, The Clare Voyants. The reason I say it that way is that the band changed configuration from how I had come to know it. The drummer, who I had known for years, is no longer with the group and, to me, this makes it not the band I used to love.

So I had no particular desire to see the rest of the band without Paul, however, my friends and I were meeting at O'Connor's prior to going to a house party. Now, last year, we spent the New Year's at this pub, closing it down, then retired to hotel rooms to continue the festivities. It was a blast.

Anyway, we met at the pub, and then headed over to another friend's house for a very comfortable and low key evening. They had a fire going in one of those above ground fireplaces (Similar to this.) and were relating all the high points of the year, month by month. I had nothing to contribute. Other than not dying for 36 years in a row, there were no real outstanding high points that I could recall.

Then came midnight. A few seconds of yelling "Happy New Year!" then all the couples broke down for prolonged kissing. Except for myself, my friend, Billie there were no single females. So she and I were basically watching everyone else make out as we tried to make small talk. Whee what fun. I left for home shortly thereafter, as couples began to cuddle in groups to chat.

As I said, I am fully expecting to be faced with the deluge of ads for all those in relationships within the nest few weeks, and am used to tolerating that with cynicism towards those that try to get romanticism to revolve around one day a year. I was caught by surprise last night, though. Smacked in the face by Baby New Year. The little bastard. I hope no one changes his diaper.

************

Random Fact: Regardless of what Cyndi Lauper says, girls don't just want to have fun. Some want to have babies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya on that one.

oh well.

1/02/2006 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home