Friday, December 09, 2005

Too Stoopid to Breed

I rarely watch the news on TV. Firstly, I have a hard time watching the mannequin people who are reporting the news, in between their so polite laughter at their feeble attempts at humor. Then, there is the tripe that passes for “news” in the first place, add to that their scripted follow up questions to the so-called stories and perhaps you can begin to feel my dislike for television news.

Tonight, however, I had the TV on in the background while I was going through some papers and a story came on that made me stop to listen out of sheer stupidity of some people. Luckily, it was the middle of the night and there was no other news, apparently. Well other than the Southwest Airlines plane that skidded off the runway and killed a young boy.

In the story that boggled my mind, however, it happed to pass that a set of parents, I’ll call them Mr. and Mrs. Dumbschit, apparently left their 7 year old son sleeping in their minivan upon returning home. They left him in the parking lot of their apartment complex. Asleep. Parked in a fire lane!

Now, while they were inside minding their own business, a tow truck, which was contracted through the apartment complex, came by. The driver saw a minivan, unattended in a fire lane. He hooked the minivan up to his truck and left with it to go to impound the vehicle. On his way, he stopped at a mall. It was here that he noticed that there was a 7-year-old boy asleep in the minivan. He immediately called 911.

Our stalwart police forces sprang into action and returned the child to his parents. Of course, charges were pressed. For reckless endangerment. On the tow truck driver!

Let me repeat that; the tow truck driver was charged for reckless endangerment. Because, of course he left his child, sleeping in a vehicle, which was illegally parked, and apparently out of his ability to keep watch, while his minivan was hooked up to a tow truck and hauled away. Oh. Wait. That wasn’t him. It was the child’s parents.

As I stated earlier, luckily this news item was replayed over and over and I could assure myself that I was awake and had, indeed, heard the story correctly.

I remember one night I left my laundry in the back of my (At the time.) Geo Tracker. The back window was unzipped and someone stole a bag of my clean clothes. I remember feeling like a moron for having done that. And I hadn’t even had to carry around and care for those clothes for seven years.

It completely escapes my imagination how someone could, in this day and age, leave their child, unattended, in a parked car. Let alone parked somewhere it was sure to call attention. For example, oh I don’t know, a fire lane! And, let’s not forget, that they DID NOT NOTICE that their minivan was hooked up to a tow truck and hauled away.

So, once again, my TV has proved to me how stupid people are. How Mr. And Mrs. Dumbschit escaped, what, to my mind, is gross negligence, is beyond me. How this could fall entirely on the shoulders of the tow truck driver is another mystery. But it is the Springfield PD that has chosen where the fault fell in this, are clearly working with frozen brain cells. Granted, it did get down to almost 50 degrees here last night. This is the equivalent of below freezing to the rest of the country. (Well, except for California and Florida.)

I have the utmost respect for police officers. I am a regular contributor to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. I am certain there must be some sort of logical reason that the tow truck driver was charged, but the official statement is that the parents will not be charged.

I have tried to find a link to this story, but all I have is the video link. Click the story about "Tow truck driver faces charges after towing van with child inside."

And all I can hope is that the Dumbschits follow the example of other stupid people and have several more children. The next time they lose one, they might not find it quite this easily.

************

Random fact: Some days, I want to move into a cabin in the mountains. Some days I want to live on an island in the Caribbean. (I have one picked out already.) And still other days, I just don’t want to leave the house

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a submission to News of the Weird" to me...

12/12/2005 10:25 AM  
Blogger alwswrite said...

Man, they'll let ANYONE have a baby these days.

12/17/2005 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home