Saturday, November 12, 2005

Department of Redundancy Department

It all began with my brother buying a new car. In filling out the multitude of forms, which are redundant in and of themselves, he told me that he lost count of how many times he had to write down his “VIN number.” As in Vehicle Identification Number. Number. Just in case you forgot that it was, indeed a number. I can almost make the argument for that need of reminding. My VIN has letters in it. I'd hate to forget it is, after all, a number.

So then, new car and VIN number on your sheaf of papers you head to the Department of Motor Vehicles, Motor Vehicle Division. Or DMV, MVD for short. I wore BVDs just to be a smart ass. Under my BDUs. Okay, that's not redundant, but it makes me chuckle.

And, good lord, let's not forget going to the ATM machine and having to remember our PIN number. Ah, I see the realization in some of your eyes. For those that missed it, Automated (or Automatic) Teller Machine. Machine. And Personal Identification Number. Number.

I also have a new PDA, which means I never have to remember anything again. Of course, to make sure I don't lose data, I have to back up the memory…to the memory. I'm not sure how this works, so I kept everything written on paper. Just in case.

My brother and I were having this conversation while he was waiting to get on a plane. As I am typing this, I am sure the waitress stewardess has handed him his foil packet of peanuts, with the precaution “Warning: Contains nuts.”

I am sure there are more out there, but I worked an 18-hour shift and I am going to bed now. If you think of any I have missed, please, pass them on. Oh wait, here's one; I now have two cats when none was sufficient.

**********************

Random fact: This entry was posted using my friend's new Mac G5; she calls him "Big Mac."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home